Toxic Ingestion

Your pet is more than any old animal. It has been your confidant, your cheerleader, and your support system. When your best friend is sick from toxic ingestion, you need to get quality veterinary care fast. If you’re looking for a veterinarian near Wisconsin Dells, you need Mauston Pet Hospital. 

.

What You Need to Know About Toxic Ingestion

Many foods that are common for humans, and much loved by man and animal alike, are actually toxic to dogs and cats. This includes a wide range of foods, medications, and even household plants. Common chemicals used in and around the home, such as bleach and antifreeze can also have devastating impacts on your pets. These are a few examples of the types of foods and other items that can be lethal to your pets.

Grapes and raisins, chocolate, onions, macadamia nuts, garlic, avocados, bread dough, and anything with the sugar substitute xylitol. Alcoholic beverages are also bad for your furry friend.

Medications are also big problems for pets. They are made for humans of certain weights and ages and can have disastrous effects on pets who consume them. Whether over the counter or prescription, these medications can take terrible tolls on your pet. Be sure to keep vitamins, naproxen, ibuprofen, acetaminophen, probiotics, antihistamines, heart medications, antidepressants away from your pet. While these are specifically listed, you should call about all accidental doses given to pets (such as when pets eat medicine bottles or dropped medications before you can take them away).

Pest poisons are also problematic for pets. Whether rat poison or insecticides these items, designed to keep your home and family safe from unexpected invaders can also present particular dangers for pets.

When to Seek Veterinary Care for Toxic Ingestion

The time to call your veterinary hospital or clinic in response to toxic ingestion is the minute you suspect that is what has occurred. Seek assistance immediately if your pet is experiencing some of the following symptoms associated with this condition:

  • Gastrointestinal symptoms (vomiting, diarrhea, etc.)
  • Internal bleeding symptoms (vomiting or coughing blood, lethargy, collapsing)
  • Kidney failure symptoms (excessive thirst and urination or absence of urination, loss of appetite, etc.)
  • Liver failure symptoms (jaundice, dull response, acting out of character)

If you suspect your pet has ingested a toxic substance and you are in need of a veterinarian near Wisconsin Dells, Mauston Pet Hospital is here to help. Call us today at (608) 847-6024 to learn more about the many veterinary services that we offer pet owners for regular care and emergencies alike.

Office Hours

Mauston Office

Monday:

8:00 am-6:00 pm

Tuesday:

8:00 AM-6:00 pm

Wednesday:

8:00 AM-6:00 pm

Thursday:

8:00 AM-6:00 pm

Friday:

8:00 AM-6:00 pm

Saturday:

8:00 am-1:00 pm

Sunday:

Closed

Location

Testimonials

  • "Mauston Pet Hospital has always gone above and beyond for the care of our family's pets for several years."
    April

Featured Articles

Articles service is currently unavailable

Newsletter Sign Up